Lights, Camera, Action with Genine Howard
On first encounter with Genine you cannot help but feel that you’re on the set of Devil wears Prada. She oozes an essence of determination that would challenge any fragrance label. Did I say challenge! That is like waving a red flag in front of Genine, she is not the person to be innocently standing in the grandstand watching others smashing touchdowns, Genine is an innovator, a pioneer and when she approached me to pull her body back into shape I underestimated the determination and competitive spirit that I was presented with. Read more about my journey with Genine here.
Tackling the Great Wall of China with Dr John Kenafake
Dr.John Kenafake of Maroochydore 7 Day Medical Centre has trained with Dan Sullivan of Activeliving for over 10 years. With Dan’s support and training, he competed in the Great Wall of China Marathon and the San Francisco Alcatraz biathlon. John continually partakes in adventure racing activities; his fitness activities are not usually mainstream, as you can see from the photos.
Climbing 6,000 metre mountain in Nepal with Gillian Thomas
My birth at activeliving started in 2007 and I call it birth because it changed my life. I went to Dan to lose weight and do some exercise! The weight came off then I went for my first slow run around the block with Dan by my side.
- Run The Gold Coast 2008 ½ Marathon (21km), in just over 2hours
- Completed many 5km and 10km fun runs
- Finished the bike leg of the Mooloolaba Triathlon
- Climbed 6,000m mountain in Nepal
- Walked up 15,000 steps in two days in China
- Run the 2011 New York Marathon, all 42km (Dan help support this dream and even came along and ran the race with me)
- Learnt to swim, that was a challenge, however Dan supported me all the way
- Maintained my weight loss and increased my muscle strength and tone and now enjoy a healthier, fitter lifestyle
Champagne is still on the menu. It has been hard work training, tears, exhaustion and sore muscles, Dan is there to console and challenge me all the way. A great mentor. Activeliving is my second home and I love training there. I still have many goals to achieve and I know if I set them with hard work and Dan’s support I will get there.
Written by Gillian Thomas
60ish years young Buderim Qld